What is a Cool Roof?
A cool roof is one that has been designed to reflect more sunlight and absorb less heat than a standard roof. Cool roofs can be made of a highly reflective type of paint, a sheet covering, or highly reflective tiles or shingles. Nearly any type of building can benefit from a cool roof.
Just as wearing light-colored clothing can help keep you cool on a sunny day, cool roofs use solar-reflective surfaces to maintain lower roof temperatures. Standard or dark roofs can reach temperatures of 150°F or more in the summer sun. A cool roof under the same conditions could stay more than 50°F cooler.
Benefits of Cool Roofs Installed by Creative Energy Solutions
- Reducing energy bills by decreasing air conditioning needs.
- Improving indoor comfort for spaces that are not air conditioned.
- Decreasing roof temperature, which may extend roof service life.
- Beyond the building itself, cool roofs can also benefit the environment, especially when many buildings in a community have them.
- Reduce local air temperatures (sometimes referred to as the urban heat island effect).
- Lower peak electricity demand, which can help prevent power outages.
- Reduce power plant emissions, including carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxides, and mercury, by reducing cooling energy use in buildings.